The It List is Yahoo’s weekly look at the best in pop culture, including movies, music, TV, streaming, games, books, podcasts and more. Here are our picks for Oct. 14-20, including the best deals we could find for each.
EXCLUSIVE: It looks like Carnage will have company in Sony's upcoming Venom sequel. The Marvel Comics character called Shriek has been incorporated into the plot of the Venom sequel (due in theaters on Oct. 2, 2020), according to two sources close to the project. A Sony spokesman declined comment, citing the early-days status of the project, which won't […]
It looks like Tom Holland is getting used to saving the day.After the reported split between Disney and Sony that would’ve separated the Spider-Man franchise from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Disney CEO Bob Iger explained that it was Holland, Spider-Man himself, who helped the two companies come to a deal again.Iger was a guest on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” Thursday night talking about his new memoir “The Ride of a Lifetime,” and Jimmy Kimmel asked if it was true that Holland was responsible for getting Marvel and Sony to come together. Iger said that bringing Spider-Man back into the fold happened “miraculously,” and that Holland really was part of the conversation.Also Read: Bob Iger: George Lucas 'Felt Betrayed' When Disney Didn't Use His 'Star Wars' Sequel Plans“It was clear that the fans wanted Tom back as Spider-Man, made by Marvel and our Marvel production team,” Iger told the ABC late-night host. “It was clear that he cared so much, and we care about him. And he’s a great Spider-Man, isn’t he? I felt for him, and it was clear the fans wanted this to happen.”Here’s how it went down. Holland was at Disney’s D23 event for a panel on the upcoming Pixar movie he stars in alongside Chris Pratt called “Onward.” At that event, Holland addressed the news of the split between Sony and Marvel by saying, “It’s been a long week … But I just want to let you all know … I love you 3000.”What we didn’t see was that Holland then requested Iger’s contact information and got in touch with the Disney boss to see what could be done to patch things up. Iger even joked that Holland cried on the phone, which didn’t actually happen. But Iger then called the head of Sony and said “we’ve got to figure out a way to get this done.”Also Read: Disney Chief Bob Iger Says 'It Wasn't Right' to Stay on Apple's Board“Like two divorced parents coming together and figuring it out,” Kimmel said. “Sometimes companies when they’re negotiating, or other people are negotiating, they forget there are other people who actually matter,” Iger responded.It truly was a scary month or so there. In August, the Sony and Marvel partnership, which has resulted in the $880.2 million-grossing “Spider-Man: Homecoming” film and the $1.1 billion “Spider-Man: Far From Home,” ended. Marvel bailed on the arrangement over a dispute regarding the financing of future films, an insider told TheWrap at the time.But that ended late last month, and the two additional Spider-Man films that are still in development, including the next one slated for release on July 16, 2021, are both set to star Tom Holland and be directed by Jon Watts. As part of the renewed agreement, Spider-Man will also appear in a future Marvel Studios film. Amy Pascal will also produce through Pascal Pictures, as she did on the first two films.Watch Iger’s full clip above.Read original story Bob Iger Explains How Tom Holland Saved Spider-Man in the Marvel-Sony Partnership (Video) At TheWrap
Before Sony and Disney announced their surprise reconciliation at the end of September regarding the future of the Spider-Man movie franchise, the two media companies were as far apart as they could be. The relationship, you'll recall, had fallen apart over money, with each side pointing fingers at the other. Indeed, a deal was so unlikely that sources say talks for a third Spider-Man movie at that point were "100% dead."That's according to The Hollywood Reporter, which on Wednesday afternoon issued a report revealing the surprise twist behind how the reversal. For that, folks, we apparently have Tom Holland himself to thank.The star himself reportedly engaged in some personal outreach directly with both Disney CEO Bob Iger and Sony film chairman Tom Rothman, urging them to not let the licensing and financial details of both companies' Spider-Man relationship get in the way of giving fans of the character more of what they want. Remember, the situation at that point was pretty bleak. Nevertheless, THR reports that the 23-year-old actor pleaded on multiple occasions for both movie executives to bury the hatchet and find a way to keep Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.It worked because, on September 27, the announcement came down that Marvel is producing Spider-Man 3, to be released in July of 2021. Holland's character, likewise, will appear in at least one more Marvel film. As we noted earlier on Wednesday, that additional film is most likely Avengers 5.Holland's behind-the-scenes diplomacy seems to have gotten underway in earnest post-D23. At that point, he began making entreaties to Rothman to reopen talks with Disney, in addition to reaching out directly to Iger. As THR notes, Holland was also able to show both executives how much loyalty is out there from fans of Spider-Man who were upset at the news of the character's future being in doubt, which seems to have broken the camel's back."I am thrilled that Spidey's journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it," Marvel's Kevin Feige said in a statement about the Sony-Disney thaw. "Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold."
After briefly breaking up, Sony and Disney reach a new "Spider-Man" deal.
There was one very adorable moment they left out of 'Spider-Man: Far From Home.'
Director Joe Russo says Sony is making a 'tragic mistake' splitting Spider-Man from MCU
Fans holding out hope that Spider-Man might be returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be disappointed to hear that "for the moment the door is closed," according to Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra. Speaking at Variety's Entertainment & Technology summit, Vinciquerra cryptically added that "it's a long life," implying that perhaps in the […]
The actor was on hand at the Anaheim expo to promote his new Disney+ show "The World According to Jeff Goldblum."
Appearing at Disney convention, actor makes first comment about dispute over Spidey's MCU future.
The Walt Disney Company has officially revealed the top secret project they'll be announcing at D23 this weekend... and it's not what you expect.
Due to disputes between Sony and Disney over revenue sharing from films starring the web-slinging superhero, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will no longer be involved with future Spider-Man movies.
Sony's "Spider-Man: Far From Home" is crossing the $1 billion milestone for worldwide grosses, becoming the 40th title to do so. The tentpole has outperformed 2017’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” which debuted Tom Holland as the webslinger and wound up with $334 million in North America and $880 million worldwide. "Spider-Man: Far From Home” again follows the […]
Marvel Studios unveiled its most ambitious and diverse phase yet at San Diego Comic-Con.
The It List is Yahoo’s weekly look at the best in pop culture, including movies, music, TV, streaming, games, books, podcasts and more. Here are our picks for July 15-21, including the best deals we could find for each.
Sony's "Spider-Man: Far From Home" claimed victory again during its second weekend in theaters, dominating over new releases, Paramount’s gator thriller "Crawl" and Disney’s R-rated comedy "Stuber." The superhero tentpole collected another $45 million, boosting domestic grosses to $274 million. This weekend's haul represents a 50% decline in ticket sales from its inaugural outing, a […]
This weekend’s new movies failed to leave much of an impact on the box office charts, as Sony’s “Spider-Man: Far From Home” continues to swing past all previous Spider-Man films with a $45.3 million second weekend total.Worldwide, the eighth Spidey installment and the second produced by Marvel Studios has grossed $847 million, becoming the biggest Spider-Man film internationally with $572.5 million grossed overseas. “Far From Home” will pass the $880 million global total of “Spider-Man: Homecoming” this week, and is 22% ahead of the domestic pace set by that 2017 film.Taking second on the charts is Disney/Pixar’s “Toy Story 4,” which is approaching $350 million domestic with an estimated $20.3 million fourth weekend, bringing its total to $346 million and keeping it slightly ahead of the pace set by “Toy Story 3,” which made $339 million to this point in its 2010 theatrical run.Also Read: 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Beats 'Stuber' and 'Crawl' at Box OfficeBut the continued success of these two blockbusters came somewhat at the expense of two lower-budget newcomers: Paramount’s “Crawl” and Disney/Fox’s “Stuber.” “Crawl” has gained some post-release word of mouth thanks to a 89% Rotten Tomatoes score and a B on CinemaScore, and grossed a decent $12 million opening from 3,170 screens against a reported $13 million budget. Paramount is hoping that “Crawl” will leg out, as well as “47 Meters Down,” which opened to $11.2 million in 2017 and went on to gross $44 million.But “Stuber,” a film inherited by Disney from the Fox merger, is struggling with an estimated $8 million opening from 3,050 screens. Reception for the film was much more lukewarm with critics with a 47% Rotten Tomatoes score and a B from CinemaScore audiences.Farther down the charts, Disney’s “Aladdin” inches closer to the $1 billion mark after earning $5.9 million in its eighth weekend, bringing its total to $960 million. “Avengers: Endgame,” meanwhile, is just $7 million away from passing the global total of “Avatar,” having crossed $850 million domestic in its 12th weekend.Also Read: 'Crawl' Film Review: Kaya Scodelario Contends With Killer Gators and a Toothless ScreenplayNext weekend sees the release of Disney’s remake of “The Lion King,” which has received polarizing reviews from critics with a 60% Rotten Tomatoes score. The film opened this weekend in China to a $54.7 million opening, with $6 million from 618 IMAX screens.That total is higher than the $46.5 million earned by the “Jungle Book” remake and the $45.2 million earned by the “Beauty and the Beast” remake in the same market. “The Lion King” will open in all other international territories except Hong Kong, Japan and Italy next weekend.Read original story ‘Spider-Man’ Swings to $45 Million Weekend as Box Office Newcomers Struggle At TheWrap
"Spider-Man: Far From Home" screenwriters Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers talk about the film's two biggest surprise moments.
Acclaimed filmmaker reveals details of the scrapped Tobey Maguire sequel that would have found Spidey squaring off with Vulture and Mysterio.