Indian actor Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead Sunday at his home in Mumbai. Police said he took his own life at age 34, but are investigating.
Rajput debuted in Hindi cinema in 2013 in Kai Po Che!, and was awarded best actor (male) at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne in 2017 for his movie M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story. In that film, Rajput played Indian cricket star Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
More from Deadline
- Bollywood Producer Boney Kapoor On How The World's Most Prolific Film Biz Is Planning To Return After COVID-19 Shutdown
- India's Producers Guild Outlines Safety Protocols For Filming Post-COVID
- Rishi Kapoor Dies: Veteran Bollywood Star Was 67; Priyanka Chopra, Akshay Kumar, Shah Rukh Khan Lead Tributes
He was also known for the role of Manav in the TV series Pavitra Rishta, which ran from 2009 to 2014.
Rajput’s public relations team released a statement on behalf of the family.
“It pains us to share that Sushant Singh Rajput is no longer with us. We request his fans to keep him in their thoughts and celebrate his life, and his work like they have done so far. We request the media to help us maintain privacy at this moment of grief,” the statement said.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted his condolences on Sunday.
“Sushant Singh Rajput…a bright young actor gone too soon. He excelled on TV and in films. His rise in the world of entertainment inspired many and he leaves behind several memorable performances. Shocked by his passing away. My thoughts are with his family and fans. Om Shanti.”
Best of Deadline
- Coronavirus: U.S. Cases Top 2 Million, CDC Says, As Death Toll Nears 114,000 - Update
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto