The mini-reboot of the 1993 film, shot in Illinois barely a week before the Super Bowl, topped USA Today‘s Ad Meter and also finished third in YouTube’s ranking of the ads viewed most during the telecast. According to ad-tracking firm iSpot, the commercial drove a digital “share of voice” of 14.6%, by far the most of any spot in the game. It was viewed 16.6 million times across Facebook, YouTube and iSpot’s own platform.
More from Deadline
- Super Bowl Ads: NFL Resurgence Sees Brands Playing More Aggressive Offense This Year
- Rocker Dee Snider Attacks Shakira And Jennifer Lopez's Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Super Bowl Ratings: Viewership For Game, Halftime Show, Lead-Out 'Masked Singer' Tick Up - Update
Another top-ranking spot was “Loretta” from Google, a sentimental pitch for Google Assistant that wound up No. 3 on USA Today‘s list and No. 2 in rankings compiled by market research firm Ipsos. Emotional response was the key metic for Ipsos, which convened a special focus group of 40 viewers in New York whose skin was connected with custom monitors.
Doritos topped the Ipsos survey as well as one from Taboola, which said the chip brand’s spot with Sam Elliott and Lil Nas X drove readership about the commercial to 85 times normal levels.
Amazon’s “Before Alexa” ad, starring Ellen DeGeneres, was the most-watched on YouTube, followed by Facebook’s “Ready to Rock” pitch, the social media giant’s first Super Bowl outing, which was also ranked No. 2 by iSpot.
YouTube reported overall viewing of Super Bowl ads during the game increased by about 30% over 2019 levels. On TV screens, viewing of ads rose 70%, a reflection of the fact that an increasing number of viewers tune in via connected devices or smart TVs, which offer access to the YouTube streaming app.
Beyond the ads, the day’s musical performances drove significant search activity on Google. After Demi Lovato performed the national anthem, Google reported a 1,450% increase in searches for “over under National Anthem.” After the halftime show featuring Jennifer Lopez and Shakira, there was a 3,500% spike in “Shakira Shakira lyrics” and a 2,450% rise in “JLo tour 2020.”
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers