Starz has given an eight-episode series order to Run the World, a half-hour comedy from Boomerang writer Leigh Davenport; Dear White People co-showrunner Yvette Lee Bowser; and Lionsgate TV, where Bowser is under an overall deal. Millicent Shelton (black-ish, P-Valley) is set to direct.
Created, written and executive produced by Davenport, Run the World is the story of a group of black, vibrant, fiercely loyal best friends who work, live and play in Harlem as they strive for world domination. At its core, it’s an unapologetically female show about friendship and not only surviving — but thriving together.
More from Deadline
- 'Heels': Kelli Berglund Joins Starz's Wrestling Drama Series
- Carmi Zlotnik Inks Exclusive Producer Deal With Apple
- Carmi Zlotnik Steps Down As Starz President of Programming
“Run the World is exactly the kind of bold, authentic, inclusive storytelling that Starz is committed to delivering to our global audience,” said Jeffrey Hirsch, President and CEO of Starz. “We feel as though we have captured lightning in a bottle with the energy and chemistry of this cast and their portrayal of these distinct characters in this modern-day view of four female friends in New York City and we look forward to bringing the series to the platform.”
The previously announced cast include Amber Stevens West as “Whitney,” Andrea Bordeaux as “Ella,” Bresha Webb as “Renee,” Corbin Reid as “Sondi” and Stephen Bishop as “Matthew.”
Bowser executive produces via her Lionsgate TV-based SisterLee Productions.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers