The opening night box office numbers for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker are in.
The Disney film earned $40 million in Thursday night preview screenings.
This is considered super strong — the fifth-biggest preview night in box office history, and the film is on its way to at least $200 million for the weekend.
But that haul is below the last two Skywalker Saga films. By comparison, 2015’s The Force Awakens had $57 million for its preview night and 2017’s The Last Jedi had $45 million, according to Comscore.
Here are the previous top five openers via Comscore:
1) Avengers: Endgame – $60M Thurs / $357M three-day
2) The Force Awakens – $57M / $248M
3) The Last Jedi – $45M / $220M
4) Harry Potter 7, Part 2 – $44M / $169M
5) The Rise of Skywalker – $40M / TBD
Internationally, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is open in 46 markets. The first two days have seen it earn a strong $59 million to date.