Big Beach, the production company behind Oscar contenders The Farewell and A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, has tapped Susanna Fogel to direct Winner, a biopic about former American intelligence specialist Reality Leigh Winner.
Winner was the first to expose Russia’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. She was arrested in 2017 for removing confidential documents from the government and feeding them to the press In 2018; Winner was sentenced to five-and-a-half years in prison.
More from Deadline
- 'A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood' Director Marielle Heller Signs First-Look TV Deal With Big Beach
- 'The Flight Attendant': Susanna Fogel To Direct & Executive Produce First Two Episodes Of Kaley Cuoco's HBO Max Series
- 'The Farewell's Lulu Wang Sets Next Movie, Sci-Fi Pic 'Children Of The New World'
Kerry Howley, who wrote the 2017 New York Magazine article Who is Reality Winner?, adapted the screenplay. Dani Melia and Peter Saraf of Big Beach will produce alongside Amanda Phillips, who brought the project to them.
Fogel, repped by UTA and Lighthouse Management, most recently penned the script for the critically acclaimed comedy Booksmart, which was directed by Olivia Wilde. She also co-wrote and directed The Spy Who Dumped Me, starring Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon, as well as the 2014 film Life Partners with Leighton Meester and Gillian Jacobs. Fogel directed the pilots for the upcoming limited series The Flight Attendant on HBO Max and The Wilds on Amazon.
Best of Deadline
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers