First released in 2002, the Splinter Cell video game revolves around protagonist, Sam Fisher, a highly trained agent of a fictional black-ops sub-division within the NSA, dubbed “Third Echelon”. The player controls Fisher to overcome his adversaries in various levels. The game has spawned six sequels and a series of novels.
More from Deadline
- Netflix Underway In France On Jean-Claude Van Damme Action-Comedy 'The Last Mercenary'
- Naya Rivera To Appear On 'Sugar Rush'; Netflix Dedicates Episode To Late Actress Following Her Tragic Death
- 'Don't F**k With Cats' Producer Raw TV Scores Latest Netflix Order, Sporting Scandal Series 'Bad Sport'
A Splinter Cell film adaptation with Tom Hardy to star as Fisher had been in the works for years, but has never gotten off the ground.
Kolstad wrote all three films in the John Wick franchise, starting with John Wick in 2014 followed by John Wick: Chapter 2 in 2017 and John Wick 3: Parabellum in 2019, and is set to pen the upcoming fourth installment. Kolstad also has been tapped to write a film adaptation of Frank M. Robinson’s time travel story, Hunting Season, with Transformers producer Don Murphy. Kolstad co-created the Quibi series Die Hart starring Kevin Hart and John Travolta, was a staff writer on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier miniseries, and penned Universal feature Nobody set for release in 2021.
Variety was first to report the Splinter Cell project.
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto