“I’m so in love with myself,” Caroline Rose sings on her latest synth-strutting single, “it’s so romantic.” “Feel the Way I Want” is the first taste of Rose’s follow-up to 2017’s Loner, an album that found the former alt-country troubadour reinventing herself as a playful pop auteur.
“Feel the Way I Want” is an electro-rock “Feeling Myself” that finds the singer-songwriter leaning fully into the sound and image she’s spent the past four years sculpting. With a Prince-meets-MGMT hook as its main anchor, Rose spends the four-minute anthem brushing off a flurry of burdensome expectations. “I realized at some point that I’m not going to fit into any one box,” she recently said, “and maybe that’s a good thing.”
More from Rolling Stone
- Song You Need to Know: Justin Bieber, 'Yummy'
- Song You Need to Know: Ethan Gruska feat. Phoebe Bridgers, 'Enough For Now'
- Drake and Future Have Fashioned Themselves as Blissful Blue Collar Blokes on 'Life Is Good'
If the verses on Rose’s latest represent the troubles and turmoil she’s faced over the past half-decade as she’s carved out her own artistic path, the chorus celebrates her arrival with triumphant nonsense: “Feel the way, feel the way, feel the way, feel the way, feel the way, yeah!” she sings. It’s the sound of a singer finally, and gloriously, stumbling into herself.
Find a playlist of all of our recent Songs You Need to Know selections on Spotify.
Best of Rolling Stone
- Elvis Presley: His 10 Best Country Songs
- Hank Williams' Five Most Haunting Performances
- 'A Charlie Brown Christmas': The Making of a Classic Soundtrack
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.