Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che returned last night in Saturday Night Live’s season premiere, and were given a tough task: wring laughter out of the very serious medical situation involving President Donald Trump.
“Say what you will about 2020, but it’s got moves,” said Jost, adding that it’s a bad sign for America when 50 percent of people asked Trump to “prove it” when he claimed coronavirus infection.
Che noted that many are saying there’s “nothing funny” about the President’s illness. But, he said, “Mathematically, if you were constructing a joke, this has all the elements you need. It’s like if I was making a joke about belts and my pants immediately fell down.”
Jost added that the President’s message of reassurance via Twitter ended with “Love!!!” and noted the three exclamation marks. “They are cutting his hydroxychloroquine with Molly,” he quipped.
More from Deadline
- Alec Baldwin: 'SNL' Would Have Skipped Trump COVID Jokes If President Was "Truly, Gravely Ill"
- 'Saturday Night Live' Scores Most Watched Season Premiere In 4 Years With Host Chris Rock & Jim Carrey Debut As Joe Biden
- 'SNL': Megan Thee Stallion Calls Out Breonna Taylor Attorney General With 'Savage' Performance
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: America Now Has Over 7 Million COVID-19 Cases As New Daily Infections Rise In 23 States
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto