He also shared a letter to Twitter and Instagram filling fans in on the process that went into writing the album.
“It really feels like a piece of me has been written down on paper and recorded into song,” his post reads. “I tried to be as real and as honest as I’ve ever been. It’s a world and a journey and a dream and an album I’ve been wanting to make for a really long time.”
— Shawn Mendes (@ShawnMendes) September 30, 2020
The website made to pair with his announcement allows users to pan through a room filled with an odd assortment of items strewn about: a setlist, a cassette tape, picture frames, packages, a bare mattress and more. Many of the items can also be click on, bringing fans to a virtual shop to preorder the items or signing them up for to receive community messages from a phone number saved under Mendes’ name.
In the trailer, the artist can be seen laying on the mattress and walking through the room before opening a window and being transported to a beach.
The forthcoming album will be the latest in a string of projects by Mendes, with all three former records certified platinum after debuting at no. 1 on the charts. He has also racked up four songs with over a billion streams on Spotify, including the chart-topping Camila Cabello collaboration, “Señorita.”
Merchandise is available on the singer’s official website, including various collectible editions of the album, clothing items, a View-Master filled with behind-the-scenes images and a set of brass rings.
More from Variety
- TIFF Tribute Awards Go Virtual With Kate Winslet, Chloé Zhao -- and Shawn Mendes
- Shawn Mendes to Perform at 2020 Toronto Film Festival Tribute Awards
- Global Citizen, HeadCount Add Shawn Mendes, Dave Matthews, Donna Karan, Bob Weir, Meghan Trainor 'Rewards' for Voter Registration Campaign
Best of Variety
- What's Coming to Disney Plus in October 2020
- Everything Coming to Netflix in October
- The Best Comedies on Netflix to Watch Right Now