“We knew we weren’t going to tour, so I tried to figure out a way to get the music to you,” Springsteen told the awed audience at the AMC Freehold 14 movie theater.
More from Rolling Stone
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Perform 'Sundown' on His Jersey Estate
- See Bruce Springsteen's Surprise 'Light of Day' at Exhibit Opening Gala
- Trump Attacks Beyonce, Jay-Z, Springsteen Over Clinton Support
Springsteen, who was accompanied by the film’s co-director Thom Zimny, also spoke about filming Western Stars at his Colts Neck, New Jersey barn and in Joshua Tree National Park, the Asbury Park Press reported.
“If you have applause, I would save it for the end of the film,” Springsteen also asked the audience. “Because the editing and the pacing of the film has its own message.”
Western Stars opens nationwide October 25th. Springsteen previously shared the “Sundown” performance from the film and detailed the movie’s soundtrack, featuring stripped-down versions of songs from his Western Stars LP.
Springsteen also recently staged a surprise performance of “Light of Day” in Freehold to celebrate the opening of the “Springsteen: His Hometown” exhibit.
Best of Rolling Stone
- 35 Greatest Horror Soundtracks: Modern Masters, Gatekeepers Choose
- 20 Insanely Great Eminem Tracks Only Hardcore Fans Know
- The 10 Wildest Led Zeppelin Legends, Fact-Checked
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.