Right before the show concluded with its curtain call, Saturday Night Live flashed a short snippet of Van Halen shredding his guitar. The clip was of Van Halen performing with G.E. Smith and the Saturday Night Live band back in February 1987, when Van Halen’s then-wife Valerie Bertinelli hosted the sketch series with musical guest Robert Cray Band. The vintage video followed Jack White’s performance of his song, “Lazaretto,” in which The White Stripes frontman switched his guitar for a cobalt blue model designed by Van Halen.
“Rest in peace Eddie Van Halen,” he said standing alongside Maya Rudolph and Jack White during the show’s close.
Van Halen died of cancer on Tuesday. He was 65.
More from Deadline
- 'Saturday Night Live' Ratings Slip, Stay Strong With Host Bill Burr
- 'SNL' Tackles Racism & Police Brutality, Kate McKinnon Breaks Character, 'Weekend Update' Savages "President & Active Bio Weapon" Trump
- 'SNL': Pete Davidson Talks J.K. Rowling's "Very Disappointing" Transphobic Comments
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: America Now Has Over 7 Million COVID-19 Cases As New Daily Infections Rise In 23 States
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto