Sam Smith came through for his fans. The U.K. singer delivered new music Thursday night, just as many people predicted.
The new track, titled “Pray,” was teased on Smith’s social media accounts earlier this week with a cryptic video alongside an Oct. 6, 2017 date.
06.10.2017 pic.twitter.com/p5isyLR2Nk— Sam Smith (@samsmithworld) October 4, 2017
The new record arrives about a month after Smith released “Too Good at Goodbyes,” the lead single off his long-awaited sophomore album The Thrill of It All, whose title and tracklist Smith also announced at the same time. The singer's debut LP, In the Lonely Hour, was released in 2014, and went on to achieve both commercial and critical success (chart-topping hits, multiple platinum certifications, and four Grammys). Though Smith says the follow-up will be “a beautiful little transition,” he insists it will be even more personal than his breakout project.
"I'm putting my heart even more out on the fucking line. I'm going even deeper,” he told Rolling Stone. “I can't believe I'm even doing it, but I'm going even deeper."
Smith will also serve as the musical guest on this week's episode of Saturday Night Live alongside host Gal Gadot.
- Sam Smith Releases New Song and Video for "Too Good at Goodbyes"
- Sam Smith Gets Called Out by Dustin Lance Black for Implying He's the First Openly Gay Male Oscar Winner (UPDATE)
- Sam Smith's "Writing's on the Wall" Wins Best Original Song at the Oscars
- Watch Performances By Lady Gaga, Sam Smith, The Weeknd and More at Oscars 2016
More from Complex
- What You Need to Know About STDs If You Ever Plan to Have Sex Again
- Nelly Arrested for Rape
- Here's How to Win a Pair of Air Jordan 1 "Royals"
- McDonald’s Briefly Revives Szechuan Sauce After ‘Rick and Morty’ Story Arc
- Nationals Hitting Coach Suspended After Being Named in Revenge Porn Lawsuit