Sacha Baron Cohen reveals 'frightening' escape from far-right rally after 'Borat 2' stunt

Tom Beasley
·Contributor
·3 min read

Watch: Full trailer for Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Sacha Baron Cohen has revealed how he was “fortunate to make it out in one piece” after carrying out a stunt for the Borat sequel at a far-right rally.

Cohen was spotted earlier this year performing a provocative song about coronavirus, Hilary Clinton and the “fake news media” at a far-right rally, with initial speculation suggesting that he was recording for a new series of sketch show Who Is America?

In a new op-ed for Time magazine warning Americans about misinformation ahead of the US presidential election, Cohen revealed how dangerous his escape from that event turned out to be.

Read more: Comic actors who went dark on the big screen

The 48-year-old comedian wrote that he rushed to a getaway vehicle only for an “angry crowd” to block the escape route, banging on the vehicle.

“Under my overalls, I was wearing a bulletproof vest, but it felt inadequate with some people outside toting semiautomatic weapons.” he said.

Sacha Baron Cohen attends the 71st Emmy Awards on September 22, 2019. (Photo by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic)
Sacha Baron Cohen attends the 71st Emmy Awards on September 22, 2019. (Photo by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic)

“When someone ripped open the door to drag me out, I used my entire body weight to pull the door back shut until our vehicle manoeuvred free.

“I was fortunate to make it out in one piece. The next few weeks will determine whether America will be so lucky.”

Read more: Cohen unrecognisable in first look at Trial of the Chicago 7

Cohen is set to reprise the role of Kazakh journalist Borat in the new movie, but will also don various disguises as the character attempts to evade those who recognise him from his previous visit to the USA.

The star was also spotted during a prank in which he burst in on an interview with Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani while wearing a pink bikini.

Sacha Baron Cohen in 'Borat Subsequent Moviefilm'. (Credit: Amazon)
Sacha Baron Cohen in 'Borat Subsequent Moviefilm'. (Credit: Amazon)

Cohen has become known for his audacious stunts and, in the op-ed, he discusses another occasion on which he feared for his life during the filming of 2009 movie Brüno, in which he played the titular gay fashion journalist.

The actor said he posed as a cage fighter, only to “engage in some heavy petting” with another man rather than fight, causing a “near riot”.

Cohen added: “The crowd — including some recently paroled prisoners with swastika tattoos — erupted in homophobic slurs and started hurling metal chairs at us.

“Had I not ducked into a trapdoor and out an escape tunnel, I think the crowd would have beaten me senseless.”

Sacha Baron Cohen as the title character in 'Brüno'. (Credit: Universal)
Sacha Baron Cohen as the title character in 'Brüno'. (Credit: Universal)

Cohen managed to complete the filming of the Borat sequel in secret during the coronavirus pandemic and the movie is now finished, ready for release.

He will be hoping to match the critical and commercial success of the first movie, which earned $263m (£203m) at the global box office and won Cohen a Golden Globe for his performance.

Read more: Cohen rips into Mark Zuckerberg

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm is due to be released globally on Amazon Prime Video on 23 October — just over a week before the election.

Watch: Find out more about the Borat sequel