“After exploring potential ways of continuing Ruby and Billy’s journey, together with showrunner Vicky Jones,” HBO said in a statement, “we have come to the decision that we will not be moving forward with a second season of Run.”
More from TVLine
- Run Finale Recap: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been — Plus, Grade It
- Michelle Williams and Oscar Isaac to Star in HBO's Scenes From a Marriage
- In Treatment Reboot Eyed at HBO
Created by Jones (Killing Eve) and executive-produced by Emmy winner Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag), Run starred Wever and Gleeson as former sweethearts Ruby and Billy, who hit the road together thanks to a pact they made years ago that they’d drop everything and travel across the country if they ever texted each other the word “RUN.” Waller-Bridge made an on-screen appearance as well as taxidermist Laurel.
Run debuted in April, with its seven-episode freshman season wrapping up on May 24. The season finale ended on a cliffhanger, with Ruby and Billy going their separate ways after Ruby discovered the entire trip was just a book-publishing ploy by Billy. (Read our Season 1 finale recap here.)
TVLine’s Cable Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news. Were you hoping for a second Run? Drop your thoughts on the cancellation in a comment below.
Best of TVLine
- TV's One-Hit Wonders: Pitch, Bunheads, Baker and the Beauty, Forever and 40+ More Shows That Ended Too Soon
- Cancelled TV Shows: What Would Have Happened Next on Forever, Salvation, H50, The Exorcist, Dallas and 31 Others
- Cancelled TV Shows: What Would Have Happened Next