Bodies of man and woman recovered from submerged car in River Trent

Jimmy Nsubuga
·2 min read
Specialist police underwater search teams on the river Trent. (SWNS)
Specialist police underwater search teams on the River Trent. (SWNS)

Two bodies have been recovered from a submerged car in River Trent.

Police dive teams retrieved the bodies of a man and woman on Saturday morning after a major search operation in Nottinghamshire.

They had located an object believed to be a vehicle on 2 February, a day after a car with two passengers was reported to have been seen floating along the river at Hoveringham, between Newark and Nottingham.

High river levels have since hampered efforts to recover the vehicle but the bodies were removed from the water at about 10.30am when the car was located on the riverbed using sonar equipment.

Read more: Burst pipe floods road leaving thousands without water

Police liaison officers have notified family members of the deaths. (PA)
Police liaison officers have notified family members of the deaths. (PA)

No formal identification has yet taken place but family members have been informed by a family liaison officer.

A tug boat from Newark is helping to remove the car.

Police were called at around 4.15pm on 2 February to Boat Lane in Hoveringham.

The force said a witness saw a car with two passengers enter the River Trent and they “believe we know who those people are”.

An aeroplane and helicopters were deployed by police to try to locate the vehicle, as well as divers from the north-west region diving team.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service and East Midlands Ambulance Service also responded to the incident.

Read more: Couple arrested on suspicion of murdering one-year-old boy they were adopting

Inspector Tim Ringer, leading the recovery operation, said: “This has been a difficult and complex operation involving dozens of people from multiple agencies.

“Underwater recoveries of this nature are always very challenging, but our divers’ work has been further complicated by the very fast-flowing water at the site. It was simply not safe to attempt this work before today.

“Our thoughts remain with the family of the deceased who have asked for their privacy to be respected at what I know is an immensely difficult time.”

A file will now be prepared for the coroner.