The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards delivered an all-time low in the ratings, marking a sixth straight year of decline for TV’s biggest night.
Per Nielsen fast finals, Fox’s Sunday-night telecast drew 6.9 million total viewers along with a 1.6 demo rating, down 33 percent from last year (when NBC hosted the ceremony on a Monday). Compared to the Emmys’ most recent Sunday outing (2017 on CBS, and facing Sunday Night Football), the numbers were down 39 and 35 percent.
More from TVLine
- Emmys 2019: Best and Worst Moments
- Emmy Winners: Game of Thrones Ties Record and Leads TV Pack
- Empire Premiere Recap: Final Season Begins With a Bang
Game of Thrones was this year’s big winner, taking home a record-tying 12 trophies, followed by HBO’s Chernobyl (with 10 wins), Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (eight) and Amazon’s Fleabag (six, four of which came in major categories including Best Comedy and lead comedy actress).
In fact, cable and streaming programs accounted for 86 percent of this year’s Emmys, leaving broadcast-TV to claim the remaining 14 percent, or 18 out of 132. (In 2018, the Big 5 grabbed 18 percent of the golden pie.) NBC led this year’s pack with seven total wins (five of which went to Saturday Night Live), followed by Fox and CBS (four each), The CW’s two and ABC’s one (Live in Front of a Studio Audience won Variety Special).
Elsewhere on Sunday:
NBC | Sunday Night Football (16.3 mil/5.4) is up a tick from last week’s fast nationals.
CBS | Pending adjustment due to NFL overrun, Big Brother (5.8 mil/1.3) is up week-to-week.
NEXT SUNDAY: 60 Minutes, America’s Funniest Home Videos, Bob’s Burgers, Capt. Holt’s beloved Durrells in Corfu, Family Guy, God Friended Me, NCIS: Los Angeles, Poldark, Robot Chicken, The Rookie, Shark Tank and The Simpsons return, plus the series premieres of Bless the Harts and Godfather of Harlem.