Countless women have spoken out against R. Kelly, and now one of his accusers has broken down her former relationship with the disgraced Chicago singer. In a feature for NBC News, Asante McGee, who was also featured in Lifetime's Surviving R. Kelly docuseries, broke down the sexual misconduct Kelly allegedly subjected her to.
Early on in their relationship, McGee said that she didn't see any initial warning signs, and she instead believed that he was trying to protect her. "When he told me not to speak to people about coming to see him, because they might try to attack me, I believed him," she wrote. From there she alleged that Kelly told her story about an uber driver putting a gun to a unnamed girl's head after she said she was on her way to visit R. Kelly. "I believed it then but, thinking about it now, I don't anymore," she explained.
McGee wrote that she first started to notice things weren't as they seemed when he flew her out to Chicago in 2016 only to have her sit in a van for eight hours. "I should have just left him then, but I was just so in love with him," she added.
Even more disturbing, McGee said that Kelly would ask her to "talk like a little girl," which set off another red flag for her. "He always wanted me to talk like a little girl. He would tell me what to say, I would repeat it, and he would keep telling me, 'No. Do it different, do it a little softer,' until I got to the voice that he wanted," she wrote. "I thought it was odd, but then I thought that maybe it was just a role play for him."
At one point during their relationship, she saw him with a 17-year-old girl on his lap. When she moved into his house alongside other women, it became even more clear to her that he wasn't who he had her believe he was. "If I was alone in my room, I was able to use my phone to communicate, but I could not have my phone out in his presence, or in the presence of the other girls because he'd trained us to tattle on one another, to help him maintain control," she continued.
Read the full article by McGee here.
- R. Kelly Reportedly Seeking Permission to Leave U.S. for Shows in Dubai
- R. Kelly Denies Claims He Slept With Aaliyah's Mother
- R. Kelly’s Girlfriend Joycelyn Savage Alleged Singer Sexually Assaulted Her the First Time They Met (UPDATE)
More from Complex
- JetBlue Pilots Accused of Drugging, Raping Female Crew Members in Lawsuit
- Lil Uzi Vert Debuts New Hairstyle
- Adam22 Posts Video of Alleged Armed Robbery Attempt—Yes, Another One
- Texas Man Tests Petco’s ‘All Leashed Pets Are Welcome’ Policy by Bringing a Steer Into Store
- Premiere: Tyler Thomas Commands Attention With "Dripped in Gold"