If you loved Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, Quentin Tarantino has some good news for you. When asked about the rumored four-hour extended cut of his critically-loved film starring Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio, Tarantino revealed on Friday that it does exist and could be coming to a theater near you very soon.
“Hey look, it’s all good so once this whole thing is said and done, maybe in a year’s time, we probably will [release it],” Tarantino said, according to Collider. “It’s all good. It’s all great. I don’t know if an audience would sit for it, but I love it. So we showed it to [Sony boss] Tom Rothman and it was like, ‘OK, here this all is. We know that this is a movie, but maybe you can help us out because we like everything.’”
The original theatrical release of Once Upon a Time In Hollywood clocks in at an hour and forty minutes, and a re-release added another 10 minutes of deleted scenes. But it is not clear what could possibly be included to add so much more to the film.
Damon Herriman — who plays infamous cult leader Charles Manson in the film — previously told EW that “we did shoot a little more than what’s in the film. [Tarantino] did cut quite a lot out of the film. The stuff I got to do in that was lighter and more of a fun tone” and that one more Charles Manson scene “may make an appearance at some point.”
Back in October, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood returned to over 1,000 theaters in the United States and Canada with a re-released version containing 10 minutes of new footage in four additional scenes, appearing at the beginning and end of the film.
“Audiences have shown tremendous support for this movie,” Sony’s distribution president Adrian Smith said in a press statement regarding the re-release. “We look forward to offering them another opportunity to see the film as it’s meant to be seen — in theaters on the big screen — with more sights and sounds of the sixties from Quentin Tarantino as an added treat.”