Possibly Paralyzed 8-Year-Old Shot At Fourth Of July Parade Now In Critical Condition

·2 min read

A child injured in the Highland Park shooting is now in dire condition.

Cooper Roberts, age 8, was one of the dozens of people injured during the mass shooting at the 4th of July parade in Highland Park, Illinois on Monday. Seven people were killed — including Irina and Kevin McCarthy, whose murders left their two-year-old son orphaned.

Cooper was also at the parade with his parents and twin brother when he was struck by gunfire. Anthony Loizzi, a spokesperson for his family, told Oxygen.com via email on Friday that Cooper was "shot in the chest and suffered a severed spinal cord injury in the Highland Park, Illinois Independence Day parade."

Loizzi confirmed last week that doctors believe Cooper is paralyzed from the waist down.

This week, there are even more hurdles for the child to overcome. Loizzi noted on Tuesday in an email update that Cooper’s “situation is now critical.”

“Cooper currently is spiking a fever and an elevated heart rate due to a new infection, which is being treated with medication,” Loizzi stated adding that “doctors have shared that one of his lungs is partially collapsed.”

Furthermore an esophagram procedure on Monday “revealed that the tear in Cooper’s esophagus has reopened.”

“As a result, he is facing an urgent, complex and lengthy surgery today to again attempt to repair his torn esophagus,” Loizzi stated. “This is his seventh surgery and is of particularly high risk given his age and current condition.”

He went on to say that his family “greatly appreciates all prayers for his recovery.”

Cooper, who is one of the youngest victims of the shooting, loves sports and the Milwaukee Brewers, Loizzi told reporters at a Thursday press conference.

The child was "asking to see his eight-year-old twin Luke and his dog George," he told Oxygen.com on Friday.

Cooper's mother, Keely, and his twin brother, Luke, were also injured in the shooting. Keely was shot in the leg and foot area, and has also undergone multiple operations. Luke is back home after being treated and released for injuries from bullet fragments.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family with medical costs.

Last week, the alleged shooter, Robert E. Crimo, III, 21, was charged with seven counts of first-degree murder for the mass shooting.