Let’s settle this early: No one — and I mean no one — wants to be the person who doesn’t have a funny/punny/clever team name. It’s just not a good look.
Ok, now that that’s out of the way, we’re here to help out. Here are some basic guidelines to follow.
1. Be funny. Your players are motivated by funny team names. This is scientifically proven somewhere, we’re just trying to dig up the numbers.
2. Be clever. Center your team name around one of the guys on your roster and make a pun. Show your intellectual superiority by also adding a buzzy pop culture reference with the name. If you don’t have intellectual superiority, fake it.
3. Don’t overreach: Going for a joke or reference so obscure that you have to explain the team name to the entire league is not the goal here.
4. No profanity. Pretty basic here. Keep it clean. It shouldn’t be that difficult and can be especially important for those in leagues with co-workers.
5. Don’t be lazy: If your team name ends up being “your first name” apostrophe “team” (AKA Zach’s team) you have failed and doomed your team to follow your lead.
So that joke you thought was brilliant didn’t land like you thought it would Remember, you can change your team’s name whenever you want in the setting tab. If your team is rolling keep the same name. If it’s not, maybe change things up — whatever works for you.
Here are the five most common names between 2016 and 2017:
1. Show Me Your TDs (This has probably been No. 1 for longer than it should)
2. A Team Has No Name (For all you Game of Thrones fans)
3. Victorious Secret (Funny, simple)
4. My Ball Zach Ertz (This is the best use of a player’s name I know; gotta draft Zach Ertz)
5. Prestige Worldwide (Stepbrothers forever)
Some other well played pop culture references
Golden Tate Warriors (gotta draft Golden Tate)
Finally, I’m putting myself out there with some names I came up with because I spend all of my free time counting down until Fantasy Football season. Add your best names in the comment section.
Forte Year Old Virgin
Le’Veon on a Prayer
Hyde and Go Zeke
Now get out there and sign up for Yahoo Sports Fantasy Football, and put your creativity to the test.