Based on C.J. Box’s 2013 novel The Highway, The Big Sky — which snagged a series order in January — is a procedural thriller that centers on private detective Cassie Dewell (played by Bunbury) and ex-cop Jenny Hoyt (Winnick), who team up on a search for two sisters that were kidnapped by a truck driver on a remote highway in Montana.
More from TVLine
- Vikings' Katheryn Winnick to Lead David E. Kelley's The Big Sky at ABC
- Pilot Season 2020: Scoop on This Fall's (Possible!) New Shows, Who's In Them
- TVLine Items: Supernatural Brings Back Ruby, Veep Vet's NBC Pilot and More
But when Cassie and Jenny learn that more girls in the area have disappeared, “they must race against the clock to stop the killer before another woman is taken,” per the official description.
Bunbury’s Cassie is an ex-rodeo rider turned private detective, and she’s also the junior partner of Cody Hoyt (Shooter‘s Ryan Phillippe) at their firm, Hoyt and Dewell. The ensemble also includes John Carroll Lynch (American Horror Story) and Dedee Pfeiffer (Cybill), while David E. Kelley (Big Little Lies) will write and executive-produce the drama series.
In addition to her turn as pro baseball player Ginny Baker on the one-and-done Pitch, Bunbury has appeared in When They See Us, Under the Dome and Twisted. She’ll also co-star in the Brave New World series adaptation coming to Peacock, NBCUniversal’s streaming service.
Best of TVLine
- Watch Impeachment Trial Live Stream
- Stars Who Almost Played Other TV Roles — on Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, Lost, Gilmore Girls, Friends and Other Shows
- TV Stars Almost Cast in Other Roles