iHeartRadio’s annual celebration of the alternative rock on its airwaves, Alter Ego, took place Saturday night, welcoming everyone from Billie Eilish to the Black Keys for a four-hour concert at Los Angeles’ the Forum.
Eilish opened the show (getting the younger fans to show up on time, it should be noted) just a week before she heads into the Grammy Awards with a whopping six nominations. She was followed by Blink-182, which led into a short set from up-and-comer Rex Orange County. Coldplay was on hand for an emotional set, with gorgeous visuals and a full string section to boot, and was followed by Shaed, an energetic rising band that’s taking over the radio with “Trampoline.”
More from Variety
- Billie Eilish, Coldplay, the Black Keys Rock iHeartRadio AlterEgo (Photos)
- Tove Lo Drops Two New Songs With Billie Eilish's Brother Finneas
- Billie Eilish Will Sing James Bond's 'No Time to Die' Theme Song
The Lumineers brought their joyful energy to the stage before the Black Keys closed out the night with an electric set. The list of bands was wide and occasionally disparate, but one thing can’t be denied – their songs, at one point or another, have taken over radio airtime.
Variety was on hand at iHeartRadio Alter Ego and backstage to get dispatches from the musicians – which act did Eilish rush out to see? And who was getting their make-up touched up stage-side while Coldplay rocked out? Scroll through the photos below to find out.
Best of Variety
- Oscars 2020 Predictions: Who Will Get Nominated?
- The Best Music Books of 2019 (a Lot of Them, Anyway)
- The Best TV Performances of the Decade