Everything is hilarious, awkward and delightfully nostalgic on Hulu's middle school dram-com PEN15—including the snacks. Creators, stars and real-life best friends Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle—who play 15-year-old versions of themselves when they were in the seventh grade—pepper their scenes with plenty of '90s-era throwbacks like candy Ring Pops, enormous jawbreakers, Squeezeits drink bottles, and packages of Little Debbie brownies.
Our version of those classic Cosmic brownies starts with a rich, fudgy base topped with a silky layer of chocolate ganache, and sprinkled generously with chunky, candy-coated sprinkles. They're a delicious walk down memory lane.
PEN15's After School 'Cosmic' Brownies
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup (4 oz.) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
10 oz. semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped, divided
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Rainbow candy-coated sprinkles or large rainbow sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on all sides; coat parchment paper with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
3. Cook butter and 6 ounces of the chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium-low, stirring often, until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and egg yolk, 1 at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add flour mixture, and stir until just combined. (Don't overmix.) Spread batter in prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven until center is firm and set, 28 to 32 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool completely in pan at room temperature, about 1 hour.
5. Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium until just simmering. Stir in remaining 4 ounces chocolate. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Pour chocolate over cooled brownies in pan; let stand at room temperature until just beginning to set, about 20 minutes. Top with sprinkles. Refrigerate brownies, uncovered, 1 hour. Using parchment paper as handles, lift brownies from pan, and cut into 16 squares.
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 3 hours, 10 minutes