Her Majesty's Palace generally doesn't get it wrong – except on the rare occasions it does. Media outlets were bursting at the seams today as a new statement from Buckingham Palace appeared to imply that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are divorced.
In its announcement that 38-year-old Meghan and 35-year-old Harry would no longer be going by their Royal Highness titles, the palace referred to Meghan as "Meghan, Duchess of Sussex."
The comma following the first name has only been used for previously-divorced former British Royals – Diana, Princess of Wales received just this, as did Sarah, Duchess of York.
Buckingham Palace Admits 'Erroneous' Statement
Not long after the palace issued the statement, it told Sky News that it believed the statement (and comma) to have been issued by mistake – "erroneously," the report read.
Sky's events commentator Alastair Bruce said:
“The palace [on Saturday] made an announcement about what the duke and duchess were to be called. But it inadvertently gives all the wrong messages because, in convention, the style suggested is the one adopted to express divorce.”
Meghan and Harry were married on May 19, 2018. In 2019, the couple welcomed their son Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.
Meghan Is, However, A Divorcee
Meghan's first marriage is little spoken of. The former "Suits" actress was married to producer Trevor Engleson from 2011 to 2013.
Meghan and Harry are currently dominating global news amid the Megxit storm – the couple announced their wish to leave Royal life, with Her Majesty The Queen agreeing to plans for them to become financially independent and divide their time between the U.K. and Canada.
On Monday, Meghan was photographed carrying 8-month-old Archie while walking her two dogs on Vancouver Island. The Daily Mail noted the level of police bodyguards around Meghan, even querying how the reported $3.9 million-per-year security bill would be funded following Megxit.
Harry And Meghan's Instagram Announcement
On January 8, Sussex Royal's Instagram account posted a photo of the couple with a long caption.
"After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages," it began.
73% Of Canadians Don't Want To Foot The Couple's Security Bill
The above-mentioned report from The Daily Mail outlined the sheer cost of what protecting Meghan and Harry costs. The current bodyguard bill is said to be $1.3 million per year, but experts anticipate the figure to rise as high as $3.9 million.
A recent poll of 1,154 Canadians found that 73% of the country is opposed to its government funding security details for the couple.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had suggested that his country would foot some of the bill.
Harry receives up to $2.9 million annual income from his father Prince Charles' royal estate. It is understood that Charles will fund his youngest son for the first year following his departure from being a Senior Royal.