LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep 30, 2019--
An exclusive assortment of items from the estate of the late National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Administrator Thomas O. Paine, who oversaw the U.S. space program during the first manned missions to the moon, will be auctioned on Oct. 6 by Abell Auction Company in Los Angeles. Live bids will be accepted online and at the gallery (2613 Yates Ave.) starting at 10 a.m. PDT.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190930005740/en/
This framed photograph "Man on the Moon” signed by Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins will be among the U.S. space program memorabilia offered at Abell Auction Company's Oct. 6 live and online sale. (Photo: Business Wire)
Named the third administrator of NASA by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1969, Paine served during the first seven Apollo missions in which 20 astronauts orbited the earth, 14 flew to the moon and four walked on its surface. An array of NASA memorabilia signed by Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins from his estate will be offered, including the following rare collectibles:
- Framed American flag with Apollo IX patch carried into space aboard Apollo IX spacecraft ($1,500-2,000)
- Framed photograph “Apollo 11 Spacewalk” with matting signed by Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins ($1,000-1,500)
- Framed photograph “Man on the Moon” signed by Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins ($2,000-3,000)
- Framed photograph “The Moon” annotated and signed by Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong ($600-800)
- Framed photograph “Man’s First Foot Print on the Moon” signed by Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong ($1,000-1,500)
- “First Man on the Moon” stamp sheet signed by Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins ($2,000-3,000)
- Peanuts “Snoopy on the Moon” comic strip annotated and signed by Charles M. Schulz ($2,000-3,000)
- NASA Apollo 11 sterling trophy “Man on the Moon” dated July 1969, A.D. and inscribed with the names of President Richard M. Nixon and Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins ($1,000-1,500)
- Framed certificate appointing Thomas O. Paine deputy administrator of NASA by President Lyndon B. Johnson with consent of the U.S. Senate ($1,000-1,500)
The Oct. 6 sale will also feature the estate of Mario Zamparelli, a marketing genius and designer who gained fame creating the corporate identity of Trans World Airlines for aviation billionaire Howard Hughes. Zamparelli created iconic design identities for companies such as Capitol Records, Universal Pictures, Nissan, Hunts Foods, Mattel and Suzuki. For those interested in his unique personal effects, featured items include a small Auguste Rodin bronze and period mid-century modern furniture by Finn Juhl, Hans Wegner, Florence Knoll, Eero Saarinen and many more.
Abell is also pleased to offer a stunning collection of fine art, antique and contemporary furniture, 20 th century design, jewelry and exotic sports cars from prominent Southern California estates. Vehicles include a 2017 Ferrari 488 Spider, 2017 Ferrari California T Handling Special and 2015 Bentley Flying Spur 12.
An auction preview will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Oct. 2 to 5 at the Abell gallery, 2613 Yates Ave., Los Angeles. Call 323.724.8102 for more information or visit www.abell.com to view a complete catalog.
About Abell Auction Company
Abell Auction Company, Los Angeles’ original and premier auction house, has been entrusted with fine estates and collections for over a century. Now in its fourth generation of family operation, it has handled the treasured belongings of many high-profile clients and legendary figures in Hollywood. Abell’s weekly and quarterly sales attract an international audience of in-person and online buyers. Visit www.abell.com or call 323.724.8102.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190930005740/en/
Media contact: Stacy Geere, 661.253.1059 firstname.lastname@example.org
KEYWORD: CALIFORNIA UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: RETAIL AEROSPACE MANUFACTURING LUXURY AIR OTHER SCIENCE TRANSPORT OTHER RETAIL SPECIALTY SCIENCE
SOURCE: Abell Auction Company
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 09/30/2019 02:21 PM/DISC: 09/30/2019 02:21 PM