Zackary Momoh also recently joined the cast.
More from Variety
- Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira's 'Americanah' HBO Max Series Casts Zackary Momoh in Lead Role
- Madison Avenue Tries to Pick a Winner in TV's Streaming Wars
- Adapt or Die: Why 2020 Will Be All About Entertainment's New Streaming Battleground
“Americanah” is a 10-episode limited series that tells the story of Ifemelu (Nyong’o), a self-assured young woman raised in Nigeria, who as a teenager falls in love with her classmate Obinze (Momoh). Living in a military-ruled country, they each depart for the west. Ifemelu heads for America, where she finds academic success, but is forced to grapple for the first time with what it means to be black. Obinze had hoped to join her, but with post-9/11 America closed to him, he instead begins living undocumented in London.
Aduba will play Aunty Uju, Ifemelu’s young aunt and confidant. A highly intelligent doctor, Uju left Nigeria under tumultuous circumstances and has resettled in America to build a better life for herself and her son Dike.
Danai Gurira wrote the pilot and will serve as showrunner on the limited series, with Nyong’o, Plan B Entertainment, Andrea Calderwood, Didi Rea and Danielle Del, and Nancy Won also exec producing.
Uzo will next be seen starring in “Mrs. America” opposite Cate Blanchett. The series will premiere in 2020 on FX on Hulu. She was last seen in the hit Netflix series “Orange Is the New Black.” The show ran for seven seasons and garnered Uzo two Emmy wins, a Critics’ Choice Award, two Golden Globe nominations and multiple SAG noms.
She is repped by UTA, Management 360 and Schreck Rose.
Best of Variety
- Who Votes for the Golden Globes? A Hollywood Foreign Press Association Explainer
- Hollywood’s 10 Worst Depictions of Female Music Journalists
- Biggest Scandals, Feuds and Apologies of 2019