The combined outfit, which the actress-singer wore during the film’s closing performance of “You’re the One That I Want,” was the top-selling item in a Julien’s Live auction dedicated to Newton-John’s personal collection; the black leather jacket itself sold for $243,200 and the pants had a high bid of $162,500.
More from Rolling Stone
- Kurt Cobain's 'Unplugged' Sweater Sells for Record $334,000 at Auction
- Olivia Newton-John Opens Up About Third Battle With Cancer
- 'Grease' Spinoff Musical Series Is in Production for HBO Max
All proceeds from the sale of the Grease jacket and pants will benefit the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre, while a portion of the 500+ items also sold at auction will also go toward that organization; in 2018, Newton-John revealed she is battling cancer for a third time.
Other notable items at the Newton-John auction included the actress’ custom-made “Pink Ladies” jacket – monogrammed “Sandy” – from the Grease shoot ($50,000) and a Grease movie poster signed by Newton-John and her co-star John Travolta; expected to fetch $1,000, the movie poster ultimately sold for $64,000. An outfit the singer wore during a performance of “Physical” on the Merv Griffin Show in 1981 hit a high bid of $31,000.
The $405,000 sale of Newton-John’s Grease outfit comes a week after Julien’s Auctions sold Kurt Cobain’s MTV Unplugged sweater for a record $334,000.
Best of Rolling Stone
- 60 Greatest Horror Movies of the 21st Century
- 20 Best Horror-Movie Sequels
- 'Fight Club' at 20: The Twisted Joys of David Fincher's Toxic-Masculinity Sucker Punch
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.