Due to the rising costs associated with COVID-19 containment efforts, the popular NYC nightlife spot Kinfolk will be closing its doors permanently. In a lengthy letter addressed to "family and friends" on Tuesday, the Kinfolk team said the decision was not made lightly.
"Unfortunately, the reality of the extended shutdown and piling up of operational costs has essentially fired the decision to be made for us," the letter explains, adding that the team is "heartbroken" over this reality and did not want to bid farewell in this manner after more than a decade of memories.
The touching goodbye note also expresses pride for a legacy built on giving people a space to gather and express their "100 percent true selves" while cultivating culture and connection, ultimately becoming a home of sorts for many.
"We can only hope the energy created in our spaces will inspire and help grow the next scene, sparking a future of an ever-changing New York still built on expression, acceptance, and freedom to be yourself," the team said, deeming this sentiment of individuality as the central "ethos" that makes NYC the "best place on planet Earth."
Thanks to the lack of consistent virus messaging from the White House, especially early on into the pandemic, many businesses have struggled to find a path forward while facing an uncertain future. Sadly, the spots affected the most—like Kinfolk—are those that provide uniquely memorable experiences not found at chain establishments that are more financially equipped to weather the storm.
- Banksy's Artwork Urging People to Wear Masks Removed From London Train
- White House Reportedly Tells Hospitals to Bypass CDC on Coronavirus Data Info
- White House Roasted for Wildly Tone-Deaf 'Find Something New' Jobs Campaign
- The Complex SHOP: Designer Clothing and Brands
- Complex Podcast Network
- Sole Collector Mobile App - Your app for the Sneaker World
- Sneaker of the Year: The Best Since ’85 Book - Now available for pre-order!
Sign up for the Complex Newsletter for breaking news, events, and unique stories.