New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said casinos statewide and NYC malls can open Sept. 9 but stayed mum on movie theaters in a press briefing Thursday dedicated mainly to ripping President Donald Trump in an escalating war of words between the two pols.
The omission is a blow to theater owners as Tenet, the first major wide release, is set to debut nationally, with screens in neighboring states Connecticut and New Jersey open for business.
Casinos are limited to 25% occupancy with distancing and no food or beverages on the floor. NYC malls can open at 50% capacity with MERV-13 filters, masks, distancing and no indoor dining – which is already allowed everywhere in the state except New York City. Malls are also open elsewhere. The City Council is pushing hard for indoor dining, which is also open in Connecticut, and New Jersey, but Cuomo said NYC hasn’t proven it can ensure compliance with safety protocols.
As his Twitter battle with President Trump continued into Thursday morning, Cuomo said, “If this [COVID] was an actual war, he would be court-martialed for dereliction of duty.”
Trump on Wednesday threatened to “defund” New York City and other Democratic-run cities with “anarchists institutions” that have been the site of protests. The president also continued to hit Cuomo about nursing home COVID deaths, and ongoing probes into the President’s family business.
Cuomo said he’s mystified by Trump’s efforts to keep his tax returns from being released. “I release my tax returns. There must be something he really doesn’t want people to see.” The Manhattan District Attorney’s office has subpoenaed eight years of tax returns as part of a criminal investigation of Trump’s businesses.
Cuomo said Trump will lose New York “because those who know the President the best like him the least.”
President Trump has actively sought to punish NYC since day one.
He let COVID ambush New York.
He refuses to provide funds that states and cities MUST receive to recover.
He is not a king. He cannot "defund" NYC.
It's an illegal stunt.
— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) September 2, 2020
More from Deadline
- Reopening Hollywood: You Can Bowl, Gamble & Work Up Gym Sweat, But No Moviegoing In NY: Desperate Theater Owners Beg For Mercy
- WarnerMedia Studios & Networks Boss Ann Sarnoff On Reviving Exhibition For 'Tenet', Windows & Disney+ 'Mulan' Experiment
- AMC Now Opening New Jersey Multiplexes In Time For 'Tenet'
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: Total Cases Hit 6 Million Milestone
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto