Amid the chaos that was 2019, the show business industry lost some major players. There were icons of the big screen (Peter Fonda, Doris Day) and TV (Valerie Harper, Rip Torn, Tim Conway), along with such legends as Broadway director Harold Prince and actress Carol Channing; singers Eddie Money, Ric Ocasek and José José; musicians Peter Tork, Ginger Baker and Dr. John; and composers Michel Legrand, André Previn and Jerry Herman, to name just a few of the year’s high-profile passings.
Hollywood also lost groundbreaking directors (John Singleton, Stanley Donen, Franco Zeffirelli, D.A. Pennebaker), unforgettable writers (Herman Wouk, Toni Morrison), and executives (Robert Evans, Sid Sheinberg, Michael Lynne, Frank Biondi Jr., Leonard Goldberg).
More from Deadline
- Box Office 2019: What Went Right & Wrong In An $11.4 Billion Year & How 2020 Is Shaping Up
- Film & TV Diversity: What Changed In 2019 And What's Next In 2020
- Media And Entertainment Stocks Rebounded In 2019, But Tech Remains The Darling
Familiar actors who left us this year include Robert Forster, Luke Perry, Katherine Helmond, Rutger Hauer, Jan-Michael Vincent, Arte Johnson, Rip Torn, Diahann Carroll, Peter “Chewbacca” Mayhew, Cameron Boyce, Bob Einstein, Seymour Cassel, Michael J. Pollard and Danny Aiello.
Reality TV stars Beth Chapman, Rudy Boesch and Fatima Ali died during 2019, and we also heard the final bell for a pair of WWE legends: “Mean” Gene Okerlund and King King Bundy.
Click on the image at the top of the page to launch Deadline’s photo gallery.
Launch Gallery: 2019 Obituary Photo Gallery
Best of Deadline
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers