Jones — the daughter of the legendary sitarist — and her half-sister and sitar player Anoushka Shankar will both perform May 19th at Los Angeles’ Walt Disney Concert Hall along with Dhani Harrison, son of Beatles legend and Ravi Shankar disciple George Harrison. Dhani and Anoushka will also perform May 16th at San Diego’s Civic Theatre, a gig that doubles as a fundraiser for the Ravi Shankar Foundation.
More from Rolling Stone
- Hear Ravi Shankar Raga From Concert Attended by George Harrison
- Norah Jones Accepts Ravi Shankar's Posthumous Grammy Honor
- Watch Norah Jones Join Sharon Van Etten for 'Seventeen' on 'Colbert'
Composer Philip Glass will lead the Shankar tribute at New York’s Carnegie Hall on May 29th. To mark what would have been Shankar’s 100th birthday on April 7th, 2020, Jones, Anousha Shankar and British musician Nitin Sawhney will stage a concert at London’s Southbank Centre. Shankar died in 2012.
A centennial concert for Ravi Shankar is also planned for New Delhi, India, with details of that celebration to be revealed later in the year. Each of the centennial concerts will feature an ensemble of Ravi Shankar’s disciples.
Ravi Shankar Centennial Concerts
April 7 – London, UK @ Southbank Center
May 16 – San Diego, CA @ San Diego Civic Theatre
May 19 – Los Angeles, CA @ Walt Disney Concert Hall
May 22 – Chicago, IL @ Chicago Symphony Orchestra
May 29 – New York, NY @ Carnegie Hall
November 2020 – New Delhi, India @ TBA
Best of Rolling Stone
- New Doc on INXS' Michael Hutchence: 12 Things We Learned
- Elvis Presley: His 10 Best Country Songs
- Hank Williams' Five Most Haunting Performances
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.