The 1995 Christian thriller novel Left Behind, which kicked off a bestselling series about the modern-day Rapture, is meant to inspire audiences to ponder big questions. The first book has recently been adapted for film for the second time (due out Oct. 3), and today saw the release of its poster and the trailer — which sparked many more big questions. Though these were more secular, like, “Wait, Nicolas Cage is in this movie?” And there are more.
• In 2009’s Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call — New Orleans, Nicolas Cage reprised a role originated by Harvey Keitel. Five years later, he is taking a role first owned by Kirk Cameron. When Oscar winners fall, they fall hard.
• This is a religious movie. So why do so many of the main characters — “Raymie Steele,” “Shasta Carvell,” “Buck Williams” — have porn names?
• The poster appears to be painted by one of the Jersey Shore’s finest airbrush artists. Did they copy it from the side of a van?
• According to the “FAQ” page on the film’s website, “Olympic hurdler and bobsledder Lori ‘Lolo’ Jones will appear in the film in a cameo role as an airport gate attendant.” Why spoil this great reveal? This is the hurdler/bobsledder equivalent of telling people that Bill Murray was in Zombieland!
• Also from the FAQ page, we learn that the producers are currently accepting song submissions for use in the film. They’re asking anyone interested to send in MP3s, which may mean the movie will have nineteen different covers of “Let It Go.”
• Lea Thompson is in this. Will she be reprising her role as Lorraine McFly, as Christopher Lloyd is bringing back Doc Brown in A Million Ways to Die in the West? Will she still be confounded by Calvin Kleins?
• Did they call it Left Behind because Apocalypse Now was taken?
• Judging from the trailer, it would seem this entire movie takes place on a train and a bridge. Were they saving money by using the old Con Air and Gone in 60 Seconds sets that Cage has been storing in his spare castle?
• Cassi Thomson, playing the lead, was a last-minute replacement for Ashley Tisdale (who can still be seen on early posters). Audiences may never know the answer to the question, “If Ashley Tisdale gets raptured, which nose does she take with her?”
Photos: © Relevant Magazine / Left Behind