Real-life sisters Elle and Dakota Fanning will play on-screen sisters in the coming-of-age story adapted from Kristin Hannah’s international bestseller. Pic, which is being directed by Melanie Laurent, is set on the eve of World War II and follows the sisters’ struggle to survive and resist the German occupation of France. The story was inspired by the courageous women of the French Resistance who helped downed Allied airmen escape Nazi-occupied territory and hid Jewish children.
More from Deadline
- Seth Rogen Comedy 'An American Pickle' Jumps From Sony To HBO Max
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Sequel Pushes 'Doctor Strange 2' To 2022 As Disney & Sony Team On Release Date Changes
- Meryl Poster Options Allison Winn Scotch's Novel 'Time Of My Life' Under Sony Deal
The project reteams Laurent with Elle Fanning after the duo worked on the 2018 movie Galveston together.
The Nightingale has been published in 45 languages, and went on to sell 3.5 million copies in the U.S. alone and became a No. 1 New York Times Bestseller for a total of 114 weeks on the list.
In addition today, Sony is opening Escape Room 2 a few days earlier on Dec. 30 this year instead of Jan. 1, 2021, which gives the Culver City, CA lot four releases today this year in addition to Monster Hunter over Labor Day weekend, Lord and Miller’s Connected on Oct. 23 and the Kristen Stewart-Mackenzie Davis, Clea DuVall directed The Happiest Season on Nov. 25.
Best of Deadline
- Coronavirus: U.S. Death Toll Passes 60,000 As More Of Country Begins Relaxing Restrictions - Update
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto