The “Unbearable” package includes Tom Gormican attached to direct from a script he wrote with Kevin Etten. Cage will produce via his Saturn Films banner, alongside Mike Nilon and Kevin Turen.
More from Variety
- Amazon Lands 'Knives Out,' 'Rambo: Last Blood' for U.K. as Part of Lionsgate Output Deal
- Gerard Butler Action-Thriller 'The Plane' Lands at Lionsgate
- Lionsgate Beats Wall Street Forecasts for Revenue, Operating Income
Cage will play a version of himself as an actor who, in need of some money and creatively unfulfilled, begrudgingly accepts a $1 million offer to attend the birthday of a Mexican billionaire super fan. When things take a wild turn, Cage is forced to become a version of some of his most iconic and beloved characters in order to extricate himself from an increasingly dangerous situation.
Cage has an extensive resume, dating back to his feature film debut in 1982’s “Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” followed by the male lead in “Valley Girl.” His early starring roles included “The Cotton Club,” “Raising Arizona,” “Peggy Sue Got Married,” “Wild at Heart” and “Honeymoon in Vegas.”
Cage won a best actor Academy Award for 1995’s “Leaving Las Vegas” and starred in “The Rock,” “Face/Off” and “Con Air.” He was nominated for 2002’s “Adaptation.” Notable later roles include “National Treasure,” “Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans,” “Kick-Ass,” “Ghost Rider,” “Dog Eat Dog,” “Mom and Dad” and “Mandy.
Etten is a veteran television writer and executive producer on “Workaholics,” “Scrubs” and “Desperate Housewives.” He and Gormican created the supernatural series “Ghosted.”
Best of Variety
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could
- Every Oscar Best Picture Winner