John Travolta planted a kiss on the lips of his wife Kelly Preston on Monday at the L.A. premiere of his new movie “Savages” – and it may have been the most awkward celebrity smooch in history. Perhaps it’s because the actor has been accused of sexual assault by at least three men, the most recent filing a lawsuit last Friday. Despite the growing scandal, the couple of more than 20 years tried to put on a convincing show as they walked the red carpet. Not only did they kiss a few times, but the two seemingly couldn’t keep their hands off each other, although their body language was still a little tense.
Monday night was actually the second time that Travolta, 58, has stepped out in public since the first sexual assault lawsuit was filed in early May. The “Pulp Fiction” star made an appearance at the AFI Awards on June 7 to honor Shirley MacLaine, but he did not walk the red carpet and reportedly left after giving his speech onstage. Travolta also did a sit-down interview with “Extra” last week, during which he praised his relationship with Preston, 49. “We've always been stable with each other,” he explained. “We use our communication skills. We understand what is going in life and the industry. I think the toughest part was just the loss of our son and once we were able to get through that – and times we didn't think we were going to – I think we figured we could handle anything… Everything else pales in comparison.”
The most recently allegations against Travolta come from a man who worked on a Royal Caribbean cruise line in 2009. Fabian Zanzi claims he was sexually accosted by the actor when he delivered food to his room. According to Zanzi, Travolta took off his robe and rubbed his naked body against him and said, “Take me, I will take care of you, please.” But when Zanzi rejected his advances, he says that the actor offered him $12,000 to keep the incident quiet. He’s now seeking an unspecified amount for assault, battery, and emotional distress. “This is another ludicrous lawsuit with inane claims,” says Travolta’s lawyer Marty Singer. “It is obvious that Mr. Zanzi and his lawyers are looking for their 15 minutes of fame."
Singer made similar statements about the two male masseurs who filed $2 million lawsuits against Travolta for sexual assault (which they later dismissed) and has said his client plans to sue them for “malicious prosecution” – but so far, he hasn’t.
More Celebrity Features on Yahoo!: