Netflix, which reports its second-quarter earnings Thursday, has 183 million global subscribers. Its sizable subscriber gains in recent quarters tilt the list (see it below) toward movies released recently. The company has also recently adjusted its metric for what counts as a view, now counting any subscriber who watches any programming for at least two minutes as an official viewer.
More from Deadline
- Too Lazy To Cancel Netflix? The Company Will Now Just Stop Billing You
- Reed Hastings Wants You To Go "From Hit To Hit To Hit" On Netflix, Not Just Drop By For The Occasional 'Hamilton'
- Netflix Loses Move To Axe Mo'Nique's Sex & Racial Discrimination Suit Over Comedy Special Pay - Update
Bird Box is No. 2 on the list, which was first reported by Bloomberg, with 89 million viewers. The No. 3 and No. 4 titles, respectively, are Peter Berg-directed Spenser Confidential, starring Mark Wahlberg, and Michael Bay’s 6 Underground, whose cast was headed by Ryan Reynolds.
Netflix releases only select viewership data, emphasizing titles that perform well. Nielsen offers its own reports on Netflix viewing, but only in the U.S. The company has ramped up its original movie efforts significantly over the past couple of years, exploring a range of verticals, including animation. Its global reach and local production operations have helped it diversify its offerings and continue operating even during COVID-19 shutdowns.
Last year, powered by The Irishman (which ranks No. 6 all-time) and Marriage Story, the streaming giant earned 24 Oscar nominations, more than any distributor.
Here is the full list:
Bird Box 89M
Spenser Confidential 85M
6 Underground 83M
Murder Mystery 73M
The Irishman 64M
Triple Frontier 63M
The Wrong Missy 59M
The Platform 56M
The Perfect Date 48M
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: Numbers Skyrocket As New Cases Hit Record Highs 3 Times In Past 10 Days - Update
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto