Maya Erskine (Pen15) leads a voice cast that also includes George Takei (Star Trek), Masi Oka (Heroes), Randall Park (Fresh Off the Boat), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Man in the High Castle), Brenda Song (Dollface) and Darren Barnet (Never Have I Ever) as series regulars.
Blue Eye Samurai centers on a mixed-race master of the sword (Erskine) who lives a life in disguise while seeking revenge in Edo-period Japan.
Green and Noizumi are the creators and will serve as writers and executive producers. They will showrun the series together.
The series falls under Green’s overall TV deal with Netflix.
“Our story is a larger-than-life action-adventure that takes place 400 years ago, yet Blue Eye Samurai’s themes are of the moment and the inspiration is deeply personal. We are grateful for Netflix’s passion for this story and for their bold vision for sophisticated animated drama,” Green and Noizumi said.
Jane Wu (Gold Mountain, Jackie Chan Adventures) will serve as supervising director and a producer, and Erwin Stoff (Edge of Tomorrow) will serve as an executive producer.
More from Deadline
- Netflix Lands 'Elf On The Shelf' Brand For Film, TV Live Action & Animated Projects
- Netflix Takes Russo Brothers AGBO Produced Iraq Drama 'Mosul' For November Release
- 'Maid': Tracy Vilar Joins Cast Of Netflix Series
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: America Now Has Over 7 Million COVID-19 Cases As New Daily Infections Rise In 23 States
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto