Following a five-hour meeting with Gabrielle Union over her concerns about a "toxic culture" on the set of America's Got Talent this week, NBC is launching a deeper investigation into her claims.
"The initial conversation was candid and productive. While there will be a further investigation to get a deeper understanding of the facts, we are working with Gabrielle to come to a positive resolution," an NBC spokesperson told ET in a statement.
On Wednesday, Union tweeted: "We had a lengthy 5-hour, and what I thought to be, productive meeting yesterday. I was able to, again, express my unfiltered truth. I led with transparency and my desire and hope for real change."
Meanwhile, Deadline reports that much of the talk revolved around Simon Cowell, whose company Syco produces AGT. "The ball is in NBC’s court to see if they can get Cowell to agree to make some changes to the way things are done on the show," a source told the publication.
Last week, it was reported that Union would not be returning as a judge for the 2020 season. In a follow-up story, Variety detailed Union's allegations against AGT, which, the outlet claims, had a "toxic culture." Among the incidents in question were an alleged racially insensitive joke made by guest judge Jay Leno, a contestant whose quick-changing act reportedly included the use of dark makeup on his hands to portray Beyonce, and allegedly numerous comments from network executives about Union's hairstyles being "too black."
NBC and Fremantle, the production company behind AGT, responded to the reports and allegations, telling ET in a statement: "America’s Got Talent has a long history of inclusivity and diversity in both our talent and the acts championed by the show."
"The judging and host line-up has been regularly refreshed over the years and that is one of the reasons for AGT’s enduring popularity," the statement continued. "NBC and the producers take any issues on set seriously."
In the days since, Union's husband, Dwyane Wade, insinuated that she was fired, celebs showed their support for Union, and SAG-AFTRA launched its own investigation. Meanwhile, Sharon Osbourne and Howard Stern, who have both served as judges on AGT in the past, have also spoken out against Cowell and his "boys club."
"He sets it up that the men stay no matter how ugly [the men] are, no matter how old they are, no matter how fat they are, no matter how talentless they are," Stern said according to The Hollywood Reporter, referring to how Cowell casts the show's judges.
As for Osbourne, she told ET: "Simon owns the show, he can do whatever he wants. He owns it, it's his show, he can work with whoever he wants... and I'm not saying that in a passive-aggressive way -- he's earned the right to sit next to whoever he wants to sit next to. And that's it, that's the industry we work in."
While Cowell has yet to speak out publicly, a source recently told ET that his close friends hope the scandal will change his ways.
"Simon created AGT and no one gets in his way, but people close to him are hopeful this is a wake-up call to him and NBC that a change needs to happen," the source said.
The source also claimed that Cowell has "a long track record of firing mostly women for his own personal reasons or for feeling like they are too old."
For more on the situation, watch below.