On-demand viewing went from being an option at the dawn of 2010 to becoming the norm. With so many potential viewers going by their own personal schedules, that’s meant fewer chances to experience moments on TV that can galvanize those watching. But even with those dwindling numbers of instantaneous, must-watch events, there were still plenty of moments where live TV offered the possibility that anything could happen.
Many of these moments fall into the triple silos of sports, award shows, and politics. What’s maybe more interesting to track is how the lines between those blurred more than ever over the last 10 years, and how one live moment can represent a turning point in our culture.
More from IndieWire
- The Golden Globes: What They Are, and Why They Matter To TV
- The Independent Spirit Awards Nominations Are No Longer Oscar Copycats
- Oscar Cinematography Survey: Here Are the Cameras and Lenses Used to Shoot 42 Awards Contenders
Here are the 10 most memorable live TV moments of the decade, ranked:
Best of IndieWire
- All the New and Returning 2019-2020 Midseason TV Shows
- How to Watch and Livestream This Week's Impeachment Hearings
- How to Watch Tonight's Democratic Debate