Boy Scouts were in the news recently. We think Boy Scouts are cool. We thought it would be fun to hand out merit badges.
The rankings (records through Wednesday’s games):
1. Los Angeles Dodgers (75-32; Previous: 1): For Clay’s kid: Pottery.
2. Houston Astros (69-38; Previous: 2): Brad Peacock killin’ it: Bird Study. Or Brad Study.
3. Washington Nationals (63-43; Previous: 3): Given the bullpen issues: Emergency Preparedness.
4. Arizona Diamondbacks (61-46; Previous: 5): Reptile and Amphibian Study. Because, snakes.
5. New York Yankees (57-49; Previous: 10): We didn’t know this was a badge, but Aaron Judge probably did: Space Exploration.
6. Cleveland Indians (57-48; Previous: 11): Yan Gomes, 22 men caught stealing: Crime Prevention.
7. Chicago Cubs (57-49; Previous: 9): For the second-half rally: Bugling.
8. Boston Red Sox (59-49; Previous: 4): For superior defense: Leatherwork.
9. Colorado Rockies (61-47; Previous: 6): They’ll find some pitching somewhere: Scuba Diving.
10. Kansas City Royals (55-51; Previous: 16): For enabling themselves to continue life in the AL Central: Sustainability.
11. Milwaukee Brewers (56-53; Previous: 7): Eric Thames was, for a time, a revelation: Search and Rescue.
12. Seattle Mariners (55-54; Previous: 13): There’s a compass on their dang hat. Orienteering.
13. Tampa Bay Rays (56-53; Previous: 8): Just put it all together and see what it looks like: Welding.
14. St. Louis Cardinals (53-54; Previous: 15): Signs, Signals and Codes. And passwords.
15. Baltimore Orioles (53-54; Previous: 20): For when Buck gets mad. Graphic Arts.
16. Pittsburgh Pirates (51-56; Previous: 14): Just kinda hanging behind the leaders in the NL Central. Drafting.
17. Minnesota Twins (51-54; Previous: 12): Buy? Sell? Both? Just hold on, baby. Whitewater.
18. Los Angeles Angels (53-55; Previous: 17): Rowing a one-man boat: Kayaking.
19. Miami Marlins (51-55; Previous: 25): What everybody else seems to be playing: Chess.
20. Texas Rangers (51-56; Previous: 19): Searching for that first World Series championship. Archeology.
21. New York Mets (49-56; Previous: 22): A summer of going through the motions: Robotics.
22. Atlanta Braves (49-57; Previous: 18): Also Milwaukee Braves. Also Boston Braves. Genealogy.
23. Toronto Blue Jays (51-57; Previous: 21): So many trips through customs. Stamp Collecting.
24. Detroit Tigers (49-57; Previous: 23): Pulp and Paper (Tigers).
25. San Diego Padres (48-59; Previous: 26): Maybe next year! Salesmanship.
26. Oakland Athletics (48-60; Previous: 24): Athletics. There’s a badge for that. Like, they’re named after a merit badge.
27. Cincinnati Reds (44-63; Previous: 27): To the highest team ERA in the league: Traffic Safety.
28. Chicago White Sox (41-64; Previous: 28): Iffy offense means fewer folks on base paths: Soil and Water Conservation.
29. Philadelphia Phillies (39-66; Previous: 30): They’ll be good again one day. Meantime, Wilderness Survival.
30. San Francisco Giants (41-68; Previous: 29): Up a creek, down a paddle: Canoeing.
More from Yahoo Sports:
• Gov. Christie’s absurd feud with Cubs fan escalates yet again
• Jordan settles Kobe vs. LeBron debate using simple math
• NFL Power Rankings: It’s the Patriots, and then everyone else
• Dan Wetzel: Ice Cube forced to suspend Allen Iverson from BIG3