Mike Tyson is ready to fight again. But instead of a fellow boxer, the former heavyweight champion will take on one of the most feared predators in the world.
Tyson Vs. Jaws: Rumble on the Reef is a special that will air on Aug. 9 at 9 p.m. During the event, Tyson will face off against the animal in the "name of research." Adding to the excitement, iconic ring announcer, Michael Buffer, will also take part.
"With famed ring announcer Michael Buffer calling the shots, these two heavyweights will square off underwater, where Mike Tyson will try to score a TKO over the massive shark ... all in the name of research," Discovery describes.
Although details of the competition are being kept under wraps, Tyson said that he took on this challenge to overcome his fears of making a comeback.
"I equate this with overcoming my fear of getting back into the ring at 54 years old," he explained. "I learned from this experience doing Shark Week that whatever intimidates me, I am still able to step up to the challenge of overcoming anything that would prevent me from accomplishing my life’s mission of reaching my highest potential in life and bringing me closer to God."
This year's eight-day Shark Week will be the 32nd annual installment of the tentpole, and could be the latest step to Tyson's return to the ring.
- Mike Tyson To Switch Places With... Mike Tyson?
- Conspiracy Theorists Believe There's a Time Traveler at 1995 Mike Tyson Fight
- Mike Tyson Demolishes Mitts in New Workout Video
- The Complex SHOP: Designer Clothing and Brands
- Complex Podcast Network
- Sole Collector Mobile App - Your app for the Sneaker World
- Sneaker of the Year: The Best Since ’85 Book - Now available for pre-order!
Sign up for the Complex Newsletter for breaking news, events, and unique stories.