“It gets harder and harder every time just to literally stare someone in the eyes and not be able to say anything,” Janelli Caceres-Pickens said in court, according to Fox 5. “It's hard, it's hard. A lot of emotions run through you.”
On Tuesday, suspects Quincy Homere and Jamar Hill had their first trial date at Queens County Criminal Court, where they faced multiple murder charges stemming from a May 2015 drive-by shooting that left Chinx dead.
NYPD officers arrested Homere and Hill back in December, and charged them with second-degree murder, second-degree attempted murder, first-degree assault, and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon. Shortly after they were taken into custody, Lt. Richard Rudolph, Commanding Officer of the Queens South Homicide Squad, told XXL magazine that Homere had a longstanding grudge against the Coke Boys rapper that began in 2009 at Rikers Island jail complex. Homere, an aspiring rapper, reportedly fought Chinx while they were both serving time.
“We're not exactly sure what the fight was about, but our perpetrator Quincy probably got the worst of it and he wanted to get back at Chinx,” Rudolph told XXL. “When he saw Chinx's career starting to blow, he took it real personal and figured that his [own] career was going south... It just festered inside of him.”
Both suspects, who are both serving time for unrelated charges, have pleaded not guilty. Fox 5 reports they are both due back in court next month; however, it is still unclear if they will accept a plea deal or stand trial. Either way, Caceres-Pickens told the outlet she intends to show up to every single hearing.
“It's just a waiting process. It's an emotional roller coaster—you come in, you have to see them, you have to face them,” she said. “The feelings just run through you all over again.”
- Chinx, Coke Boys Rapper, Shot and Killed in Queens
- Two Suspects in Chinx's Murder Arrested (UPDATE)
- NYPD Uncover Motive Behind Fatal Shooting of Chinx
- Stream Chinx's Second Posthumous Album 'Legends Never Die'
More from Complex
- Premiere: Livvia and Quavo Drop Pop Banger "Catch a Body"
- Premiere: SONA Shares Video For Dreamy Afrobeats Number "Feeling You"
- Diddy Claims 50 Cent Calling Him ‘Fruity' Was a Gesture of Love
- Watch Camila Cabello Knock Out a Quirky Classroom Instruments Edition of "Havana" With the Roots and Fallon
- Offset Apologizes for 'Queer' Lyric: 'My Passion for Fashion Has Lead Me to a Lot of Gay People'