UPDATE: McDonald’s said today it doesn’t want to turn away anyone seeking a burger.
The fast-food giant now says that it will offer customers who arrive at the stores without a mask the opportunity to don one that they will provide. If the customer declines to do so, the store will “expedite the order and guide them to a designated pick-up spot a safe distance from other customers.”
More from Deadline
- Cinemark Now Requiring All Guests To Wear Face Masks
- Disney Debuts Character Face Masks; Proceeds To Go To Charity
- Face Masks Become Branding Opportunity And Charity Endeavor For Universal Music
No additional details on where that pickup spot will be located on store properties or what will be done if a customer refuses such segregation. Previously, the chain said it would deal with the mask issue without specifying what actions would be taken with those who refuse to comply, beyond being “friendly” and “positive.”
EARLIER: Somewhere, the Hamburglar is laughing.
McDonald’s on Friday decreed that all customers will be required to wear face coverings when entering one of its restaurants.
The change starts Aug. 1 and is part of a number of new measures being implemented by the fast food restaurant. In-person dining is also out for another 30 days, and a press release, said new plastic dividers will be installed in the front and back of its restaurants.
“While nearly 82 percent of our restaurants are in states or localities that require facial coverings for both crew and customers today, it’s important we protect the safety of all employees and customers,” the company said.
McDonald’s joins CVS, Target and Walmart in requiring customers to wear a mask if they want to enter the stores.
McDonald’s said it “will provide training for our restaurant staff to ensure they are prepared to address this new policy in a friendly and positive way.”
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto