Is the world’s biggest political road show enough to win an election? Matt Taibbi heads to Springfield, Virginia to a Bernie Sanders campaign rally in the run-up to Super Tuesday. Are his supporters feeling the Bern? Yes. Baby Yoda tees? Check. “Black people love Bernie,” says one supporter. The enthusiasm is infectious.
Plus, watch as Taibbi brings out the inner rock star in those in attendance: How hard is it to do Vanilla Ice, Tears for Fears, or Bell Biv DeVoe in Bernie-voice?
More from Rolling Stone
- Now Is the Time for Democrats to Pick a Side
- Sanders Says Warren Told Him She's 'Assessing Her Campaign'
- Farewell to Mike Bloomberg 2020, the Most Colossal Flop of a Presidential Campaign in Modern History
Taibbi also sent the crew to a Women for Mike Bloomberg event in the morning, not being able to stomach the idea of attending. He later attends a Joe Biden watch party, for a completely different vibe. “Typically when you go to a watch party it’s dark; people are boozing, having fun,” Taibbi explains. “This was a bright cafe… and people were really excited about Joe Biden. We tried to get to the bottom of it and… let’s get the fuck out of here.”
Look for Taibbi’s full campaign diary later this week, with reactions from within and without the Sanders campaign to Super Tuesday.
Best of Rolling Stone
- The Useful Idiots New Guide to the Most Stoned Moments of the 2020 Presidential Campaign
- The Radical Crusade of Mike Pence
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Marco Rubio
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.