- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Jonathan Majors wins fight to keep potentially reputation-damaging information from the public.
A judge ruled the courtroom would be closed to the public during arguments Thursday.
Lawyers will argue over whether to introduce the information at trial.
A Manhattan judge ruled Wednesday that potentially reputation-damaging information about Marvel actor Jonathan Majors will remain under seal on the eve of his domestic violence trial.
A jury is expected to hear opening arguments Thursday regarding the March 25th lovers' spat in the back of a livery cab in Chinatown that has put the movie star's career in jeopardy and left him charged with six counts of assault, harassment, and aggravated harassment in the second-degree.
Defense lawyer Priya Chaudhry filed a motion last month asking the judge to keep the information from the public and the press.
Majors' lawyers have argued that if the information comes out, it would taint the jury pool and deprive the "Lovecraft" star of his right to a fair trial.
Judge Michael Gaffney agreed that, at least preliminarily, the courtroom would be sealed to the public Thursday while prosecutors and defense lawyers argue whether or not the "prejudicial and inflammatory" information would be introduced at trial.
Few details have emerged about what the shocking revelation could be, but prosecutors have hinted that they intend to introduce at trial a London Metropolitan Police report from September 2022.
In June, Rolling Stone published an expose citing two anonymous former girlfriends of the actor who claim that he was physically and emotionally abusive toward them.
On Wednesday, the jury will begin to hear the prosecutor's case that Majors beat his ex-girlfriend Grace Jabbari, a British choreographer, after a violent tussle over a saucy text message that Majors received from a romantic prospect in the back of the livery car after a night of partying.
"Wish I was kissing you," the text said.
In a fit of jealousy, Jabbari grabbed the phone, prompting a tug-o-war over the device, according to accounts by both parties.
According to Jabbari, Majors pried back and broke her finger in an attempt to regain control of his phone. After the car stopped, and the two emerged from the vehicle, Majors allegedly picked up Jabbari and threw her back in the car, injuring her neck.
The movie star, however, claimed his own injuries in the fracas and tried to convince the Manhattan District Attorney's office that he was the victim in the fight.
Prosecutors complained about lawyers for Majors leaking information to the press in an attempt to shift blame on Jabbari.
Jabbari was finally arrested on October 23 for misdemeanor assault, but prosecutors declined to charge her, sealing the complaint against her.
Chaudhry has promised to put the arresting officer on the witness stand in an effort to show deferential treatment toward the accuser.
"The [District Attorney] did not review any of the evidence in the case," Chaudhry said. "They did not interview the detective and made the decision all on their own."
Assistant District Attorney Kelli Galloway said that Jabbari had been cooperating fully since the attack and there was no attempt to reward her for her testimony against the actor.
"This was not a quid pro quo and a benefit that she received," Galloway said.
Wednesday afternoon, the judge is expected to hear arguments on the potentially reputation-damaging information and decide on its admissibility.
Read the original article on Business Insider