Deborah Chow will remain in a galaxy far, far away for Disney+. The director, who helmed multiple episodes of “The Mandalorian,” has been tapped to direct Disney+’s upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series.
The untitled series, which starts shooting next year, will see Ewan McGregor return as the Jedi Master, who last appeared in the 2005 film, “Revenge of the Sith.” It is set eight years after the events of “Revenge of the Sith.” The actor played a younger version of Kenobi in the “Star Wars” prequel trilogy that began with 1999’s “The Phantom Menace.” The character was previously portrayed by Alec Guinness in the original “Star Wars” trilogy.
“We really wanted to select a director who is able to explore both the quiet determination and rich mystique of Obi-Wan in a way that folds seamlessly into the Star Wars saga,” said LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy said. “Based on her phenomenal work developing our characters in ‘The Mandalorian,’ I’m absolutely confident Deborah is the right director to tell this story.”
The series will be written by Hossein Amini. Chow, Amini, and McGregor will serve as executive producers alongside Kathleen Kennedy, Tracey Seaward and John Swartz. Jason McGatlin, Lucasfilm’s executive vice president of production, will serve as co-producer.
Chow’s previous directing work includes shows such as “American Gods,” “Better Call Saul,” “Lost in Space,” “Jessica Jones,” “Reign” and “Mr. Robot.”
McGregor’s project is the third live-action “Star Wars” series for Disney+, along with Jon Favreau’s “The Mandalorian” and the “Rogue One” prequel series centered on Diego Luna’s character, Cassian Andor.
“The Mandalorian,” the first-ever live-action TV series set in the “Star Wars” universe, will debut on the same day as Disney+, Nov. 12.
Read original story ‘Mandalorian’ Director Deborah Chow to Direct Obi-Wan Kenobi Series for Disney+ At TheWrap