Kerry Lathan was one of the two other men shot in the attack that killed Nipsey Hussle. Yet, instead of being treated like a victim, Lathan was arrested and thrown in jail on charges of parole violation for allegedly being involved in gang-related activity. However, on Sunday, Lathan's lawyer Lauren Noriega disclosed to the Daily News that her client is once again a free man.
"He’s very excited to be home with his family," Noriega told the publication before detailing how the shooting has affected her client's health.
"He’s still got the bullet in his back, and I don’t think they’re gonna remove that because it is so close to the spine, so he’s dealing with a lot of physical pain," she stated. "Other than that he’s very pleased to be with his family."
The proximity of the bullet speaks to the jaded fortune Lathan has experienced. After sitting behind bars for nearly 25-years, Lathan was initially released from jail in Sept. 2018. During an interview with VladTV, Lathan explained that since his release he had been trying to readjust to society by taking advantage of the goodwill offered by his community members. One of these good Samaritans was the late-Nipsey Hussle. Lathan detailed how although he didn't personally know Nipsey, the rapper was offering him a new shirt when they were shot in front of Hussle's Marathon Clothing store.
In the wake of this tragedy, fans were glad to know that authorities will be dropping the charges against Lathan and he's now able to celebrate his granddaughter's birthday with his family on May 8.
- Victim Injured in Nipsey Hussle Shooting Arrested for Gang Ties to Rapper
- Kerry Lathan Opens Up About Nipsey Hussle's Final Moments and His Incarceration
- Blueface Pays Respects to Nipsey Hussle
More from Complex
- Nic Cage's Wife of 4 Days Asks for Spousal Support in Ongoing Divorce
- YBN Almighty Jay, Gucci Mane, and YBN Nahmir Link for "New Drip" Video
- Wisconsin Man Sees ‘Captain Marvel’ 116 Times
- Steve Kerr Thinks Russell Westbrook's 'Next Question' Approach to Media Is Bad for the NBA
- Arrest Warrant Reportedly Issued for Teairra Mari