Early into The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel‘s third season, Alex Borstein’s fledgling manager Susie gets a crash course in Dealmaking 101 while brokering Midge’s (Rachel Brosnahan) touring contract. Among the lessons learned: If you want your client to be taken seriously, you have to attach a rider that includes a “weird ask.” Cut to Susie extemporaneously inventing a yellow teddy bear obsession for Midge.
All of this begs the obvious question of Maisel creator Amy Sherman-Palladino — what has been her “weirdest ask” over the course of her 30-year career?
More from TVLine
- Liza Weil's Mrs. Maisel Character Slammed by Real-Life Bassist Inspiration: 'My Life Is Not a Joke'
- Should Evil Family Move? What Was 'Crisis' Plan for Other Lex? Riverdale's F.P. Is Bulletproof? And Lots More Qs!
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Renewed for Season 4 at Amazon in Wake of 'Most Watched Opening Weekend Ever'
“The first office we had on Gilmore Girls, the windows didn’t open,” the Emmy-winning auteur recalls to TVLine. “I was like, ‘I can’t write without a window that opens.’ So [Warner Bros.] cut out a tiny little square [in the wall] and they put a little sliding window in it.
“It was so funny because it was such a useless little window,” Sherman-Palladino adds with a laugh. “[But] they were like, ‘There you go. We have fulfilled our contract!'”
Borstein, meanwhile, reveals that her professional must-have also involves a personal-space issue. “If I’m traveling and have to be put up in a hotel, I would like [my room] to have a bathtub,” she shares. “I like to keep my girl parts fresh and I feel like a bath is really the best way to do that.”
And what about Maisel‘s titular star? “No, I don’t have a [‘weird ask’] — I’m not that big an a–hole, yet,” Brosnahan cracks. “I’m a pretty simple gal. Give me a room, give me my dog, give me some time to learn the script and I’m good to go.” (Reporting by Kim Roots)
Best of TVLine
- Vampire Diaries Turns 10: How Real-Life Plot Twists Shaped Everything From the Love Triangle to the Final Death
- Vampire Diaries' Biggest Twists Revisited (and Explained)
- Everwood Turns 15: The Creator, Stars Recall Braving Freezing Temps to Deliver the Pilot's Emotional Fight