EXCLUSIVE: The Sundance deals keep popping. Sources said that Magnolia and Topic Studios are wrapping up a seven-figure deal for The Fight. This surely won’t be one that President Donald Trump tweets favorably about.
The film looks at the ACLU’s immediate efforts to blunt President Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration, something that happened within seven days of his inauguration. The country’s airports and courthouses were clogged with protesters fighting to protect immigrants facing deportation due to the administration’s “Muslim ban” policy. It was to be the opening salvo of a relentless attack on civil liberties—and a tsunami of lawsuits waged against the Trump administration.
More from Deadline
- Kino Lorber Acquires Fernanda Valadez's Debut Film 'Identifying Features' - Sundance
- Deadline Studio at Sundance 2020 - Day 4 - Steven Yeun, Dee Rees, Kyle Maclachlan & More
- Deadline Studio at Sundance 2020 - Day 3 - Hillary Clinton, Tessa Thompson, Andy Samberg & More
The film tracks what it was like to be an ACLU lawyer in this unprecedented moment, experiencing the rollercoaster ride of the thrill and defeat in these deeply human battles. When a mother is separated from her child, a soldier is threatened to lose his career, a young woman’s right to choose is imperiled at the pleasure of a government official, and the ability to exercise our basic right to vote is threatened, the consequences can be devastating, now and in the future. The docu celebrates these unsung heroes.
CAA Media Finance is brokering the deal with Submarine.
Elyse Steinberg, Josh Kriegman, Eli Despres, Maya Seidler, Peggy Drexler, and Kerry Washington produced the film.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers